A fund has been established in partnership with the AFT Disaster Relief Fund to assist AFTNJ members and retirees suffering losses from the storm and its aftermath. The fund is part of the union’s tradition of solidarity with members overtaken by natural or man-made catastrophes.
The fund will provide some relief— $250 per member household—to help members meet their immediate essential needs for this disaster. While we know it will not help members pay the lion share of the bills incurred by the catastrophic loss, it serves as a token to show that our union stands together.
Procedures for Application
Who may apply: Current AFTNJ members, active or retired, may apply. You must be a dues-paying member of an AFTNJ affiliate or an AFTNJ retiree at the time of the disaster. Agency-fee payers are not eligible to apply.
Funds may be requested to compensate for hardship due to:
• mandatory evacuation
• damage to or loss of primary residence
• personal vehicle loss or car rental car fees and/or
• loss of personal possessions at the primary residence.
Losses are considered by household, not by member. Each household can submit one grant application.
This application must be submitted by March 1, 2013. Applications will be considered as they are received in order to provide timely assistance, so please submit as soon as possible.
What is the process?
1. Complete this form - Include any receipts, claims, photos or additional documentation.
2. Return to AFTNJ.
3. A committee of members will review and make decisions about allocations. Additional information or documentation may be requested.
4. If a payment is allocated, it will be mailed directly to address supplied. If temporary address is indicated, you will be contacted to confirm current mailing address. Arrangements can be made to pick up checks at the AFTNJ office.